I finished off my last post saying I was waiting to find out if I could have my hand surgery in Sydney or if I would have to fly home. The insurance company would base the decision on the cost of the procedure and I was to find out Monday morning.
Monday morning I was contacted by the insurance people and they had been in contact with the Concord Hospital finance department to get the cost estimate. Turns out their finance department could not provide a cost as the price is set by the plastic surgeon as he/she must assess the complexity of the fix prior to setting a price. So I was requested to go back to the hospital emergency department for a consult with the surgeon.
The surgeon had consulted with others in his department and it was decided that I didn’t require emergency surgery and perhaps would not require surgery at all! What about everything they said to me before? What about the function of my finger? Well, he is the specialist and the ER doctor that told me those things does not know all the intricacies of my finger.
The decision was made to put my finger in a plaster cast for more stability and I have been given an appointment for the hand clinic next Monday when they will do another Xray and determine the next step.
So maybe things will work out and I won’t require surgery.
Many of you posted comments or emailed me directly with your condolences, get well wishes and prayers. I want to say a big THANK YOU, it was much appreciated.
I spent most of the afternoon in emergency waiting for a consult on my hand today , and this is the outcome…Suddenly I did not need the surgery by this Friday. They decided instead to put my finger in a plaster cast and will be giving me an appointment to the hand clinic next Monday when they will do an Xray and determine what needs to be done. There may be a possibility that the cast may be sufficient.
So that’s where I am now. I will keep you updated along the way.